the psychology service psychology service
psychology services SERVICES the psychology service COMPANY the psychology service uk network LOCATION psychology consultants CONSULTANTS contac the psychology service CONTACT instruct the psychology service INSTRUCTIONS

Personal Injury Division Psychological Therapists Psychological Therapists | Psychological Services

There is a vast range of therapists, with an equally vast range of qualifications, experience and training. For the lay person, selection of the most appropriate therapist can be problematic.

Professional bodies, such as the British Psychological Society (BPS), the United Kingdom Counsel for Psychotherapy (UKCP) the British Association of Counselling (BAC), the British Association for Cognitive and Behavioural Psychotherapy (BABCP) and the Royal College of Psychiatrists, have developed processes of accreditation and registration of training courses and of individual therapists, providing some guarantee that they do have the necessary training and skills to carry out the therapy.

The Therapy Division employs only therapists who have undergone accredited training in CBT in addition to being qualified and experienced therapists in their own profession. Their backgrounds are mainly in Clinical Psychology; Counselling; or Mental Health Nursing. All have specialised in the treatment of the conditions suffered by our clients. Many additionally have undergone specialist training in EMDR. We carefully consider the precise experience, training and specialism of the Consultant when allocating each client to the most suitable therapist for their particular needs (see Quality Assurance).

The Personal Injury Division only employs Clinical Psychologists.

There are a number of different psychological therapists that you may have come across. It is often difficult to know what the different titles actually mean. However, below is some information to help clarify the nature and training involved within each. Click on the titles below for further information.

Psychologist: Someone who has completed an Honours degree in Psychology, in a course accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), but who may or may not have undergone any other specialist training.

Clinical Psychologist: A Psychologist who has also completed a post graduate degree in Clinical Psychology. Clinical Psychologists are trained in the diagnosis, assessment and treatment of mental health disorders. They may practise in variety of different areas of speciality including adult, child, elderly, and substance abuse. Whilst they may have one particular field of specialism, the comprehensive nature of their training ensures that they also have generic knowledge and experience across the range of psychological problems and therapies.

Chartered Psychologist: A Psychologist who has achieved their chartered status i.e. having a number of years of supervised practise following qualification. Includes Clinical Psychologists, but Chartered Psychologists may also be from other fields e.g. Occupational or Educational Psychology.

Chartered Clinical Psychologist: A Clinical Psychologist who has been accepted into the Clinical Division of the British Psychological Society, and has achieved chartered status.

Neuropsychologist: A Clinical psychologist with specialist training in relation to conditions affecting the brain, such as head injury, epilepsy, brain disease and dementia. They are normally involved in assessment and rehabilitation of such conditions.

Counselling Psychologist: A Psychologist who has undertaken post graduate training in the various psychotherapies for mental health conditions often including CBT. However, such training does not necessarily focus upon the diagnosis of mental health disorders.

Counsellor: Trained in counselling, but without first completing a Psychology Degree. Counsellors may have initially qualified in Mental Health Nursing or in Social Work, before completing a counselling qualification. Whilst they are trained in counselling they do not necessarily have the knowledge or experience in other psychotherapies such as CBT. They are not formally trained in the diagnosis mental health disorders. Unless accredited with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapists (UKCP), there is no guarantee of quality, and their training may vary from a few days to a few years.

Cognitive Behaviour Therapist: An experienced therapist from any background who has completed advanced training in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Once sufficiently experienced in CBT, they can become accredited as a CBT therapist through the British Association for Behavioural Psychotherapy (BABCP).

Educational Psychologists: A Psychologist who has post graduate training in child development and educational needs, but not necessarily in mental health conditions. Educational Psychologists normally work in an education setting, but can also work in health settings such as in a Child Psychiatric clinic.

Consultant Psychiatrist: A Doctor who has specialised in mental health conditions. Uses the medical model to identify symptoms and diagnose psychiatric conditions. Psychiatrists tend to work more with severe conditions such as major affective disorders, psychoses and personality disorders. They primarily use drug therapy, although some also specialise in psychotherapy.

... moving ahead in psychology

the psychology service